The Working Life
Sorry it's taken a while for us to get an update to you. Life has turned pretty crazy with both of us working full time and not having a computer, it's been tricky.
I started my new job last week - wow! I have now been employed by Werribee Open Range Zoo and Melbourne Zoo as a CRT (Casual Relief Teacher). Werribee is about a 1 hour comute from our city dwelling and I have started to see hours in the early morning that I had forgotten existed. Still, it is lovely to drive out of the city and find yourself in the middle of the countryside and away from all the city smog and noise.

Just down the road from the safari park
My first day (Friday) at Werribee Open Range Zoo was one of wonder as I drove up the drive to the staff carpark, passing Zebras, Wilderbeast and Wild Horses. Not something you expect to see on your way to work!

The day started with an introduction to the animals I would be handling during classes - Snakes, Possums, Lizards and Frogs, a couple of lesson observations, then a trip around the safari park in one of their buses, and finally a walk to see the Lions and Cheetahs. The best news was that I was actually being paid to do it!

It soon became clear however, that I was being broken in gently, as this week has been a whirl of trying to get to know the animals, the people, the lessons and learning some A-Level Biology. I have now taught about 8 classes, 2 of which were A-Level Biology. Eeeek! For those of you who know that I only did the 'simple' award science at GSCE will understand the hugeness of this. Thankfully I managed to blag my way through it and teach a good lesson.
My next challenge is to get my head around the snakes - the Madagascan Ground Boa Constrictors being the ones giving me the most trouble!

Haven't managed to get a piccie of me with any of the animals yet, but will put them on when I get the chance!
I start my training at Melbourne Zoo on Monday, so another place to get my head around. Lots all at once, but an amazing experience!

3 comments:
hello wella and ed wella what a nice blog and nice to see the animals but cant wait to see your special pets with you and your walkie talkie in case trouble breaks out with the boa or the wombat. all is well here brian had his eye done and looks like the new labour new danger poster with the red eyes the surgeon apologised and said he had caught a capilary and the eye would be sore and red for a few weeks. raining here at the moment. love mummy
Good on you Relly for taking on that snake, you are a brave girlie!! We went to Jen and Chris's Eurovision party last night which was fun! We only got 19 points and we definately had the best song!! Think Marth did a couple of viewings for you yesterday, which i am sure she will fill you in on! Still raining here, waiting for the sun to shine again so i can make use of my Argos sun lounger!
Take care guys,
Lots of love
Laura & Benny xx
Hi Ed and Rella, it was good to see you in Melbourne. Excellent ,Rella, on securing that sought after position in the zoo. Lucy said everyone would be after a job at the zoo!!
Enjoy Melbourne, love Lu
Post a Comment