Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hoi An

If you ever think of visiting Vietnam, you've got to visit this place.
After an overnight train ride we arrived in the quiet town, Hoi An, close to the beach and river with houses of French colonial charm. Also a clothes paradise, I did not realise that places like this actually existed! The main high street was lined with tailors willing to make you anything within 24 hours. Needless to say, we got carried away and completely blew our South East Asia budget in the space of a day.
Ed, not satisfied with his straight forward, black pinstripe decided to try styling his own suit for a mere $40. Never ever let a man go to the tailors on his own!

Wanting to continue the trend we booked ourselves on to another cooking course, this time learning how to make spring rolls, sweet and sour squid and aubergine hot pot. All very tasty. To top off a fun day in an amazing location we were taught how to make a small amount of food decoration...I don't think I did too badly.



We loved it here and would definitely recommend it...just bring an empty suitcase and a charged up credit card!

We are in Hanoi now and off to Ha Long Bay tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mortified you sent me your blog URL "in case i'd forgotten" am a religious follower of Egg and Roly Show (all those with kids will know how much this sounds like the Roly Mo Show on CBeebies thank god the content is entirely different)! Still missing you like crazy. Life here chaos what with architects plans changing, Ella moving up a class again, working 2 jobs etc etc. Will explain all in an email when I have a mo. Love you, miss you and wanted to let you know I am here and sorry for not commenting / emailing for a while.xxx

Anonymous said...

Ed - Wow, what can I say? we all loved the pink suit. Will has suggested we print this out and send to Jeremy G, I think he'd be a happy man!

Team pub quiz at the Prom last night. Although our reduced numbers were bolstered by an appearance from Alix & Colin, we were still rubbish.

Looks like you are both having the most wonderful trip. Don't know if you've already heard, but Claire C had a little girl on 5th November. Ella Poppy.

Anonymous said...

Mate, nice suit. I reckon your challenge should be to wear that while riding a moped round Hanoi (and get a picture). Just watch out for the lorries!

Rella and Ed xx said...

If anyone ever makes it to Hoi An (and you really should) then get yer arses down to 36 Le Loi Tailors - they have the picture proudly displayed of yours truly sporting the pink suit!!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything quite like that suit... superb!

Anonymous said...

oh Ed,the "King" is definitely not dead! I think you should wear it on Christmas day - show the Aussies how the Brits celebrate in style!
On a very serious note, Teddy was distressed to read about the doggies - Rella, please dont go there -too vile for words.
Keep having fun, love from Bob and me,
Mum/ Marina xxxx

Anonymous said...

..Ted dear boy, clearly the heat is affecting you...